facebook twitter flickr you tube pinterest

Types of Study Abroad Programs


There are several ways to study abroad, including Otterbein's exchange programs, direct enroll programs, and faculty-led travel courses, and program providers. The paragraphs below describe each model. For more information contact the Study Abroad Coordinator.

Faculty-led Travel Courses

Short-term faculty-led study abroad programs are a popular way to experience travel outside the United States.  Students often enroll in these classes during May term or Spring term and travel with their professor/s and classmates to a destination or destinations overseas.  Studying abroad with a faculty member and classmates is a good way to “get your feet wet” and experience life outside of the U.S.  The duration of the travel component of these courses ranges from 10 days to 3 or 4 weeks.


May 2018 Travel Courses

Approximate Cost of $3400*
SYE Course Credit
Primary Contact: Dr. Hal Lescinsky

Approximate Cost of $3700*
Course Credit TBA (Likely INST) 
Primary Contact: Dr. Joan Esson

Approximate Cost of $4900*
SYE, INST 2200 or DYAD credit
Primary Contact: Denise Shively

Approximate Cost of $3700*
INST 2600
Primary Contact: Dr. Amy Johnson

Approximate Cost of $4500*
INST 2600 or SYE Credit
Primary Contact: Dr. Dennis Davenport


Approximate Cost of $3500*
SYE or ENGL Credit
Primary Contact: Dr. Shannon Lakanen

*All costs are approximate (typically based on the last course offerings) and final cost will be confirmed and available in Fall of 2017    

If you have questions about Travel learning opportunities, contact Study Abroad in the Center for Student Success at studyabroad@otterbein.edu or 614-823-1624 

In the past, Otterbein has offered these courses.  

  • ENGL 2910 Literary Locations: Thailand 
  • INST 2401 Life/Earth Systems: Costa Rica
  • SYE 4506 Examination of History, Culture and Health Care in England
  • WGSS 3000 Bodies and Borders: WGSS in London and Amsterdam

 Italy umbrellas


Exchange Programs

Exchange programs are special agreements that Otterbein University has with certain universities overseas.  Under exchange programs, for each Otterbein student that studies at a partner university for a semester or year, Otterbein receives a student from that partner university for the same term.  Currently, Otterbein University has exchange agreements with the following universities:

What you need to know about exchange programs:

  • You pay Otterbein tuition
  • All federal and Otterbein scholarships stay in effect
  • You will need to be nominated by the Coordinator to participate in an exchange program

Tyler in cambodia

Direct Enroll Study Abroad

Direct enroll programs usually require more work from the student, but they are often the least expensive way to study abroad. The student is required to gather information about the university overseas, apply directly to the university, sign up for courses and work with university personnel overseas to arrange for housing. Some common direct enroll universities listed below.

What you need to know about Direct Enroll Study Abroad:

  • Student finds a university, applies, enrolls in courses, and makes housing arrangements with the help of the Study Abroad Coordinator
  • Can save significant amounts of money
  • Federal financial aid can be applied to these programs

Hannah in Argentina

Study Abroad Program Providers

There are many study abroad providers that coordinate study abroad programs all over the world. These organizations/providers have package programs and arrangements with universities overseas, and they often have an on-site coordinator who helps students with housing, local travel, etc.  You pay for these services, and have the comfort of being in a group with other American students.

What you need to know about Study Abroad Providers:

  • You usually pay more but receive services such as an on-site coordinator, coordinated housing arrangements, and field trips
  • Federal financial aid can be applied to these programs


Summer Programs

Summer study abroad programs and internships are offered by many study abroad agencies. Students usually take 4 - 8 credit courses and can sometimes participate in internships.

In addition, some Otterbein faculty members and coaches take students overseas for several weeks for service projects.  Since these faculty and staff-led programs do not provide the opportunity for course credit, they are not officially considered to be study abroad programs. 

Program providers offer summer courses in just about every country around the world! 

Stop by CSS to learn more.

/ Study Abroad

The Center for Student Success is located at 172 West Main Street.

Office Hours
M-F: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

p/ 614.823.1624
f/ 614.823.1325

Michelle Dippold 
Study Abroad Coordinator
e/ studyabroad@otterbein.edu

/ Application Deadlines

  • Fall - March 1
  • Spring - October 1
  • Summer - Rolling: Contact the Study Abroad Coordinator


/ Also See...