facebook twitter flickr you tube pinterest

Off-Campus Learning Opportunities

Study Abroad

We encourage our students to experience the languages and cultures they are studying first-hand by participating in a study abroad program. Learn more about available programs through the Center for International Education and Global Engagement (CIEGE).

Students Blogging from Chile

Students enrolled in professor Carmen Galarce's Spanish travel course titled, "Discovering Latin America," are blogging about their adventures and classes in Chile. Click here to read their blog and see photos.

Service Learning, Internships, and Post-Study Opportunities

Note: No academic credit is awarded for students' participation in these programs.

Peace Corps Service Opportunities

International Peace Corps service may be just the opportunity some of your students are seeking, and we hope that you can help us raise awareness of the need for volunteers with preparation in foreign languages.

Peace Corps needs skilled and educated volunteers, especially those with competence in foreign languages and cultures.

Peace Corps is one of America's top national service programs and provides the chance to help others while gaining valuable experience, in addition to other benefits like the option to combine service with graduate school for credit and/or financial assistance, full medical and dental coverage while in service, and an organized network of other returned volunteers for job opportunities and social connections.

By serving in Peace Corps, volunteers show the world a side of America that promotes service, cooperation and peace. They learn about new cultures and expand their world through travel; overcome challenges, find solutions and grow personally; and acquire global perspective and cross-cultural skills so important in today's job market. Volunteers also bring their enriching experience and spirit of community service back home when they return.

For information, contact:
Kathryn O'Connor
Peace Corps Acting Regional Manager, Chicago Office
55 W. Monroe St., Ste 450, Chicago, IL 60603
800.424.8580, Opt. 1

Peace Corps is celebrate a 50-year legacy of service in 2011.
For every young American who participates in the Peace Corps — who works in a foreign land — will know that he or she is sharing in the great common task of bringing to man that decent way of life which is the foundation of freedom and a condition of peace.
-John F. Kennedy, Establishment of Peace Corps, March 1, 1961


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program (for all languages and majors)

The Fulbright Program offers yearly U. S. student competitions for full grants, travel grants, and teaching assistantships abroad for graduating seniors. The Fulbright U.S. Student program offers B.S./B.A. graduates, master's and doctoral candidates (in any area of study) opportunities to promote mutual understanding between peoples of the United States and other countries.

  • Eligible applicants must be U.S. citizens who will have a B.S/B.A degree before the beginning date of grant.
  • Students must also have adequate preparation for the study they wish to pursue and demonstrate sufficient proficiency in the written and spoken language of the host country.
  • Students must also present a satisfactory certificate of health.
  • Students are encouraged to visit the Fulbright Web site to familiarize themselves with the requirements of the program and the availability of programs in the country of their choice.

If you are interested in applying, please contact the Otterbein Fulbright Program Advisor (FPA) Dr. Levilson Reis at 614-823-1112 or lreis@otterbein.edu.


The French Assistant Program (for French minors)

The French Ministry of Education and the Cultural Services at the French Embassy offer between 1,000 and 1,700 teaching assistant position in French primary and secondary schools and in Instituts universitaires de formation des maîtres (IUFMs) in all regions of France and the DOM-TOMS to persons who fulfill the following requirements:

  • You are an American citizen (or have a green card)
  • You are between 20 and 34 years of age as of October 1, 2006
  • You are currently pursuing or have already attained a college degree
  • You are proficient in French. Students without a major or minor in French but with a basic proficiency (about 3 semesters) in French can apply.

If you are interested in applying, please contact Dr. Levilson Reis, in Modern Languages and Cultures, Towers 325, 614-823-1112.


/ Department of Modern Languages and Cultures

Paul Eisenstein, Chair
e/ peisenstein@otterbein.edu
p/ 614.823.1609

/ Also see...